Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Yesterday’s rainstorm was part of a cloud system that moved in from the east yesterday, and under which we are currently nestled. Temps are balmy, even a little cool, and there’s a light breeze. It’s a great relief to us gringos, but when Abraham comes by the house this morning, he says he’s cold; he has on a long-sleeved shirt.

Gershon and Michaela want to go to school today with the kids, so they head out about 7:30 am. The rest of us, um, don’t.

I have another final exam to write. I has occurred to me that if I hand it out on Wed night, as planned, and leave on Thu afternoon, they won’t have a chance to get it back to me to grade, and then we’ll have to mail them, and then I won’t get them until July, and then it’s all a big mess. So I’ve decided to cut the exam material on the General Epistles and Revelation, which we’ll cover in class late Tue or Wed night, and have them write the exam tonight. I can collect them Wed night and leave them with Timothy to return to the students.

This is Africa. We change things all the time here.

Today is John Mark’s 7th birthday, and Ivy and Cynthia are baking a cake and a bunch of cupcakes. They need to use our oven. By midday the house smells just terrific.

With the upcoming travel days, there’s going to be about half a week during which we’ll have no access to laundry, so we’re standing in line for the small washing machine to get caught up. Everyone’s managing to get a turn. So to speak.

Gershon and Michaela get home from school just a few minutes before the team needs to leave for the second day of VBS at Gbacha, so there’s little time to report on how school went. They decided to spend the day in a single classroom, 5th grade, with about 19 students. There are 3 classes in the morning and 1 after lunch, with a different teacher for each. There’s a lot of raw memorization and recitation, as I expected.

IMG_20150602_093448

With everyone healthy—a good thing as the travel days approach—the house seems eerily quiet when the bus leaves for Gbacha. Never had the whole place to myself before.

Class goes well, even when I announce that I’m distributing the final exam tonight. They’ll have several options for turning it in—

1. They can bring it to class tomorrow night, finished, which will be much earlier than they’ve been expecting; they’ll be working on it from late tonight until tomorrow afternoon, assuming they have some free time. But this unannounced change could obviously be a hardship for some, so I’ve devised some alternatives.
  2. Tomorrow night’s class will be just 1 hour; they can stay at the chapel, use the internet access there, and drop it off at the house when they leave.
  3. They can write it on their computer and email it to me before 9 am Thu.
  4. Or they can make a trip back to campus Thu morning and give it to me at the house by 9 am.

To my great relief, they all readily agree that this is fair. So after a stern lecture on citing their sources, I send them off into the night.

Several of the girls come by the chapel after I’m done to teach David, the choir director, the song we sang in church Sunday morning. I head back to the house for supper.

I enjoy eating supper late, after class; it feels good to be hungry and then eat. 🙂

I get a full report on the VBS; Gershon and Charity tell the stories, and the games go well. They say there were about 200 kids. Sounds high for a village, but not impossible.

IMG_20150602_162831 IMG_20150602_163408 IMG_20150602_163213 IMG_20150602_180040

After the girls get back we have team devotions, and the Jess makes some popcorn. I find my eyelids more demanding than my stomach, though, and head to bed, leaving the party to the youngsters.